THERE’S NOTHING LIKE OLD FASHIONED TRADITIONAL BLUEBERRY PANCAKES!
I woke up one morning and all I could think about was the traditional blueberry pancakes I used to have years ago. For some reason I hadn’t eaten them in ages and they didn’t let me down.
The slowly melting real butter and the organic real maple syrup dripping over the side of my pancake full of blueberries with the tartness of the buttermilk was everything I had imagined.
Even though I use whole wheat flour now, that didn’t change a thing and actually added to their depth and richness.
THE HEALTHY SIMPLE REAL FOOD INGREDIENTS
The steps couldn’t be easier, so here we go. In a medium bowl whisk the egg slightly, then add buttermilk, vanilla and oil, and mix until combined. For this recipe, I take help from Whole Foods 365 Organic Buttermilk 100% Whole Wheat Pancake & Waffle Mix. So, add the pancake mix and cinnamon and whisk until smooth. Be sure not to over mix to keep the pancakes tender.
Next, heat a pan or griddle over medium-low heat. Be sure not to cook the pancakes on heat that is too high because they will burn before they can cook thoroughly. Melt a small amount of butter in the heated pan and then spoon in enough batter to create the size pancake you like. I was able to make 4 pancakes from this much mix.
As the pancake begins cooking, drop some frozen blueberries onto it.
Once the cake has browned on the first side, flip it over until the second side has reached a light brown color. Remove the pancake from the pan and top it with a little butter and a small amount of maple syrup. Don’t overdo it, since there is a lot of sugar in maple syrup. Balance is my motto.
The blueberry is a nutrition powerhouse, a superfood loaded with phytonutrients. Just refreshing myself on the benefits of blueberries makes me want to eat them everyday!!
Visit the world’s healthiest foods website for health benefits of the popular blueberry.
Traditional Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
Prep Time: 15 Minutes Cook Time: 20 Minutes Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 Cup Pancake Mix (I Used 365 Organic Buttermilk Pancake & Waffle Mix, 100% Whole Wheat)
- 1 Cup Buttermilk (Ingredients Should be Cultured Milk and Salt Only)
- 1 Tablespoon Organic Canola Oil
- 1 Large Egg, Room Temperature
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Cup Frozen Organic Blueberries (Costco has Organic Berries at a Fantastic Price)
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- Real Maple Syrup (I’ve Heard Grade B is the Best)
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg slightly, then add the buttermilk, vanilla and oil, and mix until combined.
- Add the pancake mix and the cinnamon, and whisk until smooth. Do not over mix.
- Heat a pan or griddle over medium-low heat. Melt a small amount of butter in the heated pan and spoon in enough batter to create the size pancake you like. I made about 5 pancakes from this much mix.
- Drop some frozen blueberries onto the cooking pancake.
- Once the cake has browned on the first side, flip it over until the second side has reached a light brown color. Approximately 2 – 4 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and top with a little butter and a small amount of maple syrup. Don’t overdo it, since there is a lot of sugar in maple syrup. Balance is my motto.