COLD SEASON SOUP FOR TWO!
This is one of my favorite cold weather meals and it has been unusually cold already here in the Pacific Northwest.
Look in your fridge for any vegetables that need to be used up and toss them into the soup. These are the veggies I found in my refrigerator, but use whatever you have.
USE ORGANIC INGREDIENTS WHENEVER POSSIBLE.
- 2 Tablespoon Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Carrot Sliced
- 2 Stalks Celery Sliced
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 4 oz. of Good Quality Ground Chicken – Already Cooked (I use my freezer just like my pantry and keep portions of already cooked organic ground chicken available for quick soups and other recipes).
- 8 oz. Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 8 oz. Spring or Filtered Water
- 1/3 Cup Frozen Peas
- 1 Small Zucchini Diced Large
- 1/2 Cup Baby Spinach Leaves Chopped
- 1 Large Roma Tomato Chopped
- Heat 1 Tablespoon of the Olive Oil in a small soup pot over medium heat.
- Add the carrot, celery and a splash of chicken broth.
- Cook stirring occasionally until the vegetables are lightly cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground chicken, ginger, sea salt and pepper and stir until combined.
- Add the rest of the chicken broth and the water and bring to an easy boil.
- Add the peas, zucchini and spinach, then cook about 3 minutes more.
- Add the chopped tomato at the very last second and add the remaining 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil to finish, and stir.
- Enjoy with a slice of artisan whole grain bread.
Cooking lightly keeps the veggies a little crunchy and fresh tasting, while the simple seasoning of ginger and salt and pepper provides a little heat along with a clean taste.
THIS EASY REAL FOOD SOUP WILL KEEP YOU WARM AND HEALTHY ON THESE COLD WEATHER DAYS!